Let's talk: editor@tmv.in
NIA’s Anantnag Searches Signal Wider Probe Into Kashmir Terror Network

NIA’s Anantnag Searches Signal Wider Probe Into Kashmir Terror Network

Nisha Rai
August 23, 2026

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Saturday searched two residential premises in Bijbehara and Dooru in Jammu and Kashmir’s Anantnag district as part of an ongoing terror investigation. The searches were conducted with Jammu and Kashmir Police. Officials initially said details of the searches and any recoveries were awaited.

The operation is linked to the NIA case RC-02/2026/NIA/JMU, which originated from a Zakura police case. According to the NIA’s official case record, police stopped a motorcyclist during naka checking and recovered one grenade and 15 live rounds from his possession.

The case has since widened into an alleged Lashkar-e-Taiba-linked terror module and logistics network. Court proceedings reported earlier this year identified five accused, including two Pakistani nationals, and said the case was registered under the Arms Act, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and Explosive Substances Act. The accused included Mohd Naqeeb Bhat, Adil Rashid Bhat, Ghulam Mohd Mir, Abu Huraira alias Kamran Ahmad alias Abdulla Rajput and Khubaib alias Usman.

Investigators have examined alleged cross-border links, logistics support and the role of Pakistan-based handlers. In August, a Special NIA Court issued a non-bailable warrant against Pakistan-based LeT commander Mohammad Yaqoob alias Abu Sumama, after the agency alleged that his role emerged during the investigation.

For the latest Anantnag searches, however, no official confirmation has established the identities or specific roles of the residents whose premises were searched. No authoritative announcement has confirmed fresh weapons, explosives or documents seized from those two houses. Reports of any digital-device seizure should therefore be treated cautiously unless confirmed by the NIA.

Any allegation against searched residents must be distinguished from guilt in court.

The next phase is likely to involve forensic examination of material seized, questioning of persons connected to emerging leads, and potentially further searches or arrests. But these remain possible investigative steps, not announced outcomes.

The NIA’s official case record currently confirms the underlying Zakura recovery and case number, while public reporting indicates that the investigation is still in progress.

NIA’s Anantnag Searches Signal Wider Probe Into Kashmir Terror Network - The Morning Voice