
UAE-Extradited Drug Kingpin Basoya Remanded to NCB Custody Till August 21
A Pune court on Sunday remanded alleged drug kingpin Virender Singh Basoya to the custody of the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) until August 21, following his recent extradition from the UAE.
Basoya was produced before the court under heavy police security after a Delhi court on Friday granted the NCB a three-day transit remand to facilitate his production before the Pune court. The prosecution sought six days of NCB custody, citing the need to question Basoya about his alleged role in a major international drug trafficking network.
The prosecution told the court that Basoya had stayed abroad for a long period and that his name had surfaced in several drug-related cases. Investigators suspect he was a key figure in a large narcotics syndicate and coordinated its operations from foreign shores.
The probe originated from the seizure of 500 grams of mephedrone in Pune in 2024. It was subsequently expanded to uncover the wider trafficking network, leading to the recovery of around 867 kg of mephedrone from Pune and 970 kg from Delhi, taking the total recovery to approximately 1,837 kg.
The NCB's Mumbai unit later took over the investigation and identified Basoya as the alleged mastermind. Investigators claim he coordinated the syndicate from abroad and facilitated the smuggling of mephedrone consignments from India to other countries.
The prosecution also said several other accused remain to be traced and that Basoya's interrogation could help establish their roles. His name has also emerged in a separate Delhi Police Special Cell case involving international cocaine trafficking.
Basoya's lawyer sought a shorter, four-day custody period. After hearing both sides, the court ordered that he remain in NCB custody until August 21.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah had earlier described Basoya's return from the UAE as a new milestone in the government's zero-tolerance policy against narcotics. NCB Deputy Director General (Operations) Neeraj Gupta said Basoya fled to Dubai a day after the Pune case was registered in 2024. An Interpol Red Notice was issued against him in November 2025.
