Let's talk: editor@tmv.in

Bold! Concerned! Unfiltered! Responsible!

Sudhir Pidugu
Sudhir Pidugu
Founder & Editorial Director
editor@tmv.in
U.S. launches Airstrikes on Islamic state targets in Syria after deadly december ambush

U.S. launches Airstrikes on Islamic state targets in Syria after deadly december ambush

Laaheerie P
February 15, 2026

The United States has carried out a series of airstrikes against Islamic State targets in central and eastern Syria in retaliation for a December ambush that killed two American soldiers and a civilian interpreter , according to a statement from US Central Command .

Between February 3 and February 12, U.S. aircraft conducted 10 strike missions, hitting more than 30 militant sites in areas including Deir ez-Zor , desert regions near Palmyra in Homs province, and parts of Raqqa. The strikes targeted weapons depots, hideouts and communications infrastructure used by the Islamic State .

CENTCOM said at least 50 IS fighters were killed or captured , and more than 100 militant facilities were damaged or destroyed since operations began following the December 13 attack that killed Sgt. Edgar Brian Torres-Tovar, Sgt. William Nathaniel Howard and civilian interpreter Ayad Mansoor Sakat.

U.S. officials said the strikes used precision-guided munitions to limit civilian harm. No confirmed civilian casualties have been officially reported so far, though independent observers noted that access to affected areas remains restricted, making verification difficult. Local residents reported explosions near sparsely populated desert settlements, raising concerns about temporary displacement and disruption of livelihoods.

Military assessments indicate that several underground storage sites and logistics hubs were severely damaged, weakening the group’s operational capacity.

The Syrian Defence Ministry said government forces had taken control of the Al-Tanf base , a strategic outpost previously operated by U.S. troops and coalition partners during the campaign against IS.

Damascus welcomed efforts that weaken extremist groups but criticised foreign military operations conducted without full coordination, stressing the need to respect Syrian sovereignty.

The strikes were carried out under the framework of the U.S.-led international coalition, with intelligence and logistical coordination involving regional partners. Washington described the operations as acts of self-defence, while legal experts raised questions about their long-term legality without renewed international authorisation.

Human rights groups called for greater transparency in targeting and post-strike investigations to ensure compliance with international humanitarian law.

In a parallel move, the U.S. confirmed the transfer of thousands of IS detainees from Syria to Iraq, where they are expected to stand trial at Baghdad’s request.

Despite withdrawing from some positions, including al-Tanf, hundreds of U.S. troops remain deployed in eastern Syria to support counter-terrorism missions and prevent an IS resurgence.

Analysts warned that the strikes, combined with shifting control of key military sites, could increase tensions between the United States, Syria and regional actors, raising the risk of miscalculation.

Aid agencies say continued military activity risks worsening an already fragile humanitarian situation, with millions displaced and communities facing shortages of food, healthcare and basic services.

U.S. launches Airstrikes on Islamic state targets in Syria after deadly december ambush - The Morning Voice